We have not been eating fast foods or processed food for awhile now, So when that urge for a fat juicy burger hits I need a way to meet that craving in a homemade healthier way. So I did my best to recreate my husbands favorite fast food burger.
For a really juicy burger don't over cook it. Use very cold ground beef with an 80/20 fat ratio. Form your burgers and put them back in the fridge to get them really cold again. Cook your burgers in a cast iron grill indoors or out on the grill outdoors. Get your grill hot and cook until you reach your desired doneness. Add salt and pepper just before your burgers are done so that the salt doesn't draw the moister out of the meat during cooking. Don't over season your burger we want to taste the burger.
On to the recipe
- 2 onion rings per burger (homemade onion ring recipe) or frozen
- 1/4 pd. ground beef per burger
- 3 slices of bacon (try and buy nitrate free bacon or use local farm raised bacon)
- 1 slice American cheese
- 1 sesame seed hamburger bun (homemade hamburger bun recipe)
- your favorite hickory smoke flavored B-B-Q sauce (Homemade B-B-Q sauce recipe)
Make your onion ring and buns in advance or put your pre-made onion rings in the oven according to package directions. Form and grill your burgers following the tips above. Add a spoon full of B-B-Q sauce on your bottom bun and place finished burger on top. Place you slice of cheese on burger and top with bacon and onion rings. Add another spoon full of B-B-Q sauce and place the top bun on the top. Enjoy