Sunday, June 2, 2013

Living Simply and Intentionaly





I have always been a rather simple person but I am really making it a conscious choice to live a simple and intentional life. What does that mean?
According to the dictionary simple means
sim•ple (ˈsɪm pəl)

adj. -pler, -plest,
n. adj.
1. easy to understand or deal with.
2. not elaborate or complicated; plain; unembellished: a simple design.
3. not ornate or luxurious; unadorned: a simple dress.
4. unaffected; unassuming; modest.
5. occurring or considered alone; mere; bare: the simple truth.
6. free of deceit or guile; sincere; artless.
7. common or ordinary: a simple soldier.
8. not grand or sophisticated; unpretentious: simple tastes.
9. humble or lowly: simple folk.
I want to really be content with the things the Lord has blessed me with. I don't want  to compare my life, home, children, clothing, car etc. to what others have. Instead I want to really see the beauty in where I am right now. Accepting the gifts I have been given and making the most of what I have. To me there is real beauty in the simple things. An old truck full of hay is much more impressive that a new truck that is empty. An urban backyard full chickens, goats, fruit trees, and vegetable gardens is more beautiful than an unused acre full of weeds and junk. I have a back yard, sure it isn't a farm on acreage.....but I am learning to farm it and that is simply beautiful. I can spend my time dreaming and admiring what others have or I can use what the Lord has given me to its fullest. 
I don't want fancy things, I want useful things. I don't want busy body friends, I want true friends, I don't want prize animals, I want productive animals. I want a modest simple life.
 Lets talk about living Intentionally. 
According to the Dictionary Intentional means

intentional - done or made or performed with purpose and intent;

I have made a choice to be a homemaker. I am going to do that with purpose and intent. A homemaker's purpose and my God given duty is to manage and keep my home. I take my career choice seriously and I intend to go about it in a serious manner. My husband earns a living for us and it is my job to make sure that I use that income in a responsible way. It is up to me to do the shopping, bill paying and budgeting. It is my obligation and honor to be the steward of my home. To make it a comfortable, clean and maintained environment. It is also my obligation and honor to nurse my family to health when they are ill, prepare wholesome food and nurture my children. I intend to be a mother to my children and a help mate to my husband. I work on this daily, improving my weaknesses and learning new and better ways to go about my tasks and interact with my family.
When people ask me if I plan to get a job now that my children are getting older, and they sometimes do ask this.....my answer is "and give up my career after all the years I have invested in it? NO WAY!" I'm just getting started.


No comments:

Post a Comment