Sunday, November 5, 2017

Prayers are answered

Almost 20 years ago my husband and I bought this acre and 1/4 of land just outside of the city limits. We had 3 very small children at the time and we were living in a small 1 bedroom apartment. This new piece of land had 2 mobile homes and a brick 2 car garage that had been converted into a studio apartment. It was amazing and I was in love.
Before moving to Arizona at 16 with my husband and his family, I lived in rural  California and then in a small coastal town. I remember driving to church on Sundays and seeing the cows in the fields, the corn fields and the smell of farm land. Spending the summers camping in the mountains and playing in the streams. I remember playing in the ocean and and catching fish. The tall forests and the grassy meadows.
Needless to say the transition from green fields and ocean to hot dry cactus and a big city was hard for me.
This little piece of land was green and had beautiful trees. I was so in love. Just having a yard for my kids to play in was great but to have this much yard was AMAZING.
I was in my very early 20's at the time and didn't really understand the potential this little piece of land held. Over the next 12 years we added 3 more children and the mobile home was getting smaller and smaller and needing more and more repairs, but I was starting to see what an amazing piece of land we had. By this point I was learning about food storage and cooking from scratch. I was also homeschooling and we had 2 small flocks of chickens that we were incubating eggs from. Outside the mobile home life was great. The garden was beautiful and the fat hens and cocky roosters were a joy to watch clucking around but inside the mobile home even though it was full of love and many amazing memories it was getting cramped and frustrating. So we made the decision to move but we refused to that sell that piece of land we had been blessed with. My in laws have always lived in the other mobile home and they continued to live there. We on the other hand moved to a much bigger home in a neighborhood with a HOA and a pretty decent mortgage payment. We were moving up in the world or so it would seem.
 Because of the mortgage payment I was forced to get a job and so my time that had been dedicated to homemaking, homeschooling and my family was now having to be redirected to earning a paycheck. I was slowly sinking into a deep depression. A part of me loved working. I really enjoyed my co workers and my job and it was a good job. But my heart was at home with my children and my husband. Between my husband and I we were making good money for the first time in our lives but we were still struggling because the bills to maintain this home and lifestyle were more than we anticipated. We were also struggling because we never saw each other and we were never together as a family anymore. Both of our jobs were high stress and in a field where you see the worse society has to offer. Our oldest daughters were now young adults or teenagers and our babies weren't getting the attention or home life our oldest kids had.
So one day after 5 years of this charade of fake happiness and what felt like living someone else's life we said enough.....we have had enough. This is not the life we want, this is not the childhood we want for our children. We did something absolutely CRAZY, we quit our jobs and sold our home. With the  equity from the house we sold we moved back to our land, our place of peace, our place of family. Did I mention we were in the middle of adopting our 4 yr. old niece at the time? Yeah there was stress and it was a crazy brave move to make.
With the money we had we gutted and totally remodeled the mobile home on the back acre of our property. I mean new everything from the floor joists to the roof top, the plumbing and electrical...EVERYTHING. We paid off what was left of our mortgage and started putting our little homestead together. Most of the work we did ourselves. We are not construction workers and this place needed a lot of work but we stuck to it. We had a dream, a plan. We had the property grated and put in our goat house and yard. Then we bought our milk does. Then the chicken coop. The garden and the fruit trees. It was summer in Arizona and it was hot but we just kept pushing forward.
Almost a year later and I can honestly say we are happier than we have ever been. This little 860 ft. mobile home with the travel trailer parked on the side for our adult daughters is the best place in the world for us. Every day I look out my kitchen window and I see my children playing. I see my goats, chickens and turkeys scratching around, the garden growing. Its everything I had hoped for. Because the cost to live here is so minimal  my husband no longer needs a high stress dangerous career. He can work any job he wants and do side jobs doing what he loves. We are better off financially. We honestly want for nothing. I no longer stress about paying bills or buying groceries.
Everyday for those five years I fantasized about moving back here, its all I talked about. I prayed about it and dreamed about it. I am a simple person who loves simple things, it doesn't take much to please me......A mobile home on a piece of land with a garden, some fruit trees, a few farm animals, my kids playing in the yard, the sun shinning in my kitchen window and the quietness at night looking at the stars with my family. That's all I need, that's all I want and as small and simple as it sounds it's actually everything. God is good. He was good from the beginning and he will still be good in the end. I deserve none of this and yet the Lord made a way and blessed me with all of it, everything and continues to bless me. Every laugh I hear from the the kids playing, every new sprout in my garden, every fruit tree that survives the desert heat, every meal I am able to place on the table for my family. Dreams do come true or maybe I should say prayers are answered.

No comments:

Post a Comment